What’s your favorite scary movie?
To anyone who has ever engaged, even minutely, with mainstream pop culture, that phrase conjures images of a ghost face mask, a black cape, and a machete. Whether you were frightened by the Scream movies or found them slightly more on the humorous side, this was a flick that totally changed the horror game.
It’s now been twenty long years since poor, poor Sidney Prescott was tormented by the weirdo with the phone obsession. Two decades ago, teens everywhere learned never to answer the phone during a party. And, most importantly, it’s been 20 years since we all realized you should never talk about scary movies unless you want to immediately become part of one.
But besides kicking off an epic horror franchise, the original Scream also launched the careers of many a 90’s darling. There were so many awesome cameos in all of these movies that it’s hard to keep track—unless a person went back and watched them all in succession to celebrate the original’s 20th anniversary.
1. Liev Schreiber He went on to a later, larger role in the sequel, but a shockingly baby-faced Ray Donovan played a guy who we can only describe as turtleneck sweater’s biggest fan. In reality though, he’s the guy who Sidney mistakenly identified as her mother’s killer.
2. Henry Winkler It’s the Fonz! Blink and you’ll miss him, but Arthur Fonzarelli played Principal Arthur Himbry in the original.
3. Jada Pinkett Smith and Omar Epps Back when Jada Pinkett Smith was just Jada Pinkett, she went to the movie theater to watch an onscreen adaptation of Sidney Prescott’s murder tale and ended up getting stabbed (a bunch of times, no less) by the still-not-caught ghostface killer. Oh, and her date to the big movie night was the much younger and still shockingly beautiful Omar Epps. You’re welcome.
4. Heather Graham In Stab, the movie-within-the-movie in Scream 2, Heather plays Drew Barrymore’s character from the original Scream. Confused yet?
5. Sarah Michelle Gellar World, meet Cici, a sorority girl at Windsor College (where Sidney just happens to attend) to meets an untimely death at the hands of the masked maniac in the sorority house.
6. Joshua Jackson Hubba hubba, Film Class Student #1! We got but a glimpse of Pacey, but what a good glance it was.
7. Laurie Metcalf Two words for you: Aunt Jackie. Okay, one more word: Roseanne. Anyone who watched the classic 90’s sitcom will recognize local news reporter Debbie Salt as, well, we shouldn’t give out any spoilers.
8. Rebecca Gayheart and Portia de Rossi It’s Sorority Sister Lois and Sorority Sister Murphy, respectively. They’re on hand in the second installment to look extremely disturbed as Jerry O’Connell performs his Top Gun-esque rendition of “I Think I Love You” in the school cafeteria.
9. Tori Spelling Back to that movie-within-the-movie, and this time it’s Tori playing the onscreen version of Sidney.
10. Anna Paquin and Kristen Bell By the time Scream 4 came out, the fake series was onto Stab 7. We know, it’s a lot to keep up with. But at least the seventh installment features Anna as a victim as Kristen as her awesomely ruthless killer. Even better is the fact that they’re debating the merits of the previous Stab movies, without realizing how meta things are getting.
11. Lucy Hale and Shenae Grimes Oops, did we say meta? Get ready for this. Before Kristen so ruthlessly stabs Anna, Lucy and Shenae play two victims in Stab 6, which Kristen and Anna are watching at the beginning of Stab 7.